What is the first thing that comes into your mind when you think about Maldives? It’s water hotels and endless beaches for me. I have always wanted to wake up on the ocean, which is why I would love stay at one of those hotels, but there are more reasons for which Maldives is a priority on my bucket list.
1. To see some of the most beautiful beaches in the world – and read my favourite book in the shade of the Palm trees
2. For water sports – have you ever wondered how it must feel like to dive with a manta rays or whale sharks? If that sounds to scary, you can check out the Fotteyo snorkelling and diving site and explore aquatic caves and gaze at corals.
3. For marine life – Hanifaru Huraa is a Unesco World Biosphere Reserve in Baa, Maldives and it is a feeding and breading area for the whale sharks and manta rays. Are you into sharks? In Maldives you have the chance to see a Hammer – Head Shark, salt water crocodiles and giant turtles.
4. For exotic food – which is strongly influenced by the cuisine from Sri Lanka, Arabia and India. Maldives is mostly water so fish is an important ingredient in the local dishes. Coconuts are popular too and apart from using them for milk and oil, in Maldives they are also served in grated form. Some of the meals you should try are: Mas Huni for breakfast (it consists of shredded smoked fish with onion and grated coconuts) Garudhiya (a fish based meal with onions, rice, chilly and lime), Kulhi Boakiba for desert (a fish cake).
5. To wake up in a water bungalow – and have the turquoise water be the first thing I see when I open my eyes.
Liked this article? This is how to subscribe:
- To subscribe to my mailing list: you can do so by clicking here. Simply enter your name and email address and hit subscribe. You will then need to check your email and click on the link you received to confirm that you want to be subscribed. After you subscribe, I will personally send you the ebook: The A to Z Guide to Planning the Dream Holiday and you will receive a newsletter once in a couple of weeks.
- To follow the blog. If you are a logged in to WordPress, press the follow button and you will see what I post in your reader. If you are not logged into WordPress, you can follow my blog by entering your email address. This way, you will receive a notification when I post something interesting.